Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday – 2nd day of class

First the general comments.  Last night Birmingham had one humdinger of a storm.  My roommate and I were unable to go to sleep until after midnight because of the non stop thunder and the rain pounding on our window.   I don’t drink coffee but I was pretty tempted this morning.  I opted for the sugar rush instead.

I am surprised to see how many people here at IGHR recognize my face or my name either because of Legacy or the blog.  I appreciate all of the nice comments and feedback I have been receiving.

I am still looking for Tim Pinnick.  I know he is hiding here somewhere and he is next on my list to find.  I think someone might have warned him.

We have a pretty heavy homework assignment tonight which I haven’t finished yet and it is already 10:30 p.m.  so I need to hurry up and get this blog post posted.  We have to self edit a 500 word excerpt from one of our reports.  Tom Jones is going to come behind us and reedit our pieces.  The editor of the NGSQ is going to rip my paper to sheds I just know it.  I can’t wait to see his comments!

Today’s class schedule:

8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Student Project 1 Due; Discussion of Project Results (Jones)
8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.: Analytical Writing: Client Reports, Proof Summaries, and Other 'Unpublished' Works
(Jones)
9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.: Morning Break
10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.: Editing Yourself (session 1)
(Jones)
11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: Lunch
12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.: Editing Yourself (session 2)
(Jones)
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.: Afternoon Break
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Putting Your Ancestors in Historical Context
(Colletta)
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.: Assignment of Student Project 2 (Editing Exercise) (Jones)

This was the first time I had heard John Colletta speak.  I enjoyed hearing about the way he goes about finding the information he needs to put his ancestor into context and make the story more interesting for the the reader.

The special evening session 7:00 p.m. – 8:15 p.m.: Measure Yourself Against Standards: Board for Certificate of Genealogists presented by Tom Jones and Elissa Powell was of special interest to me because I am planning to go “on the clock” around the first of October.  I have a lot of obligations though the summer and fall but after October first I won’t be accepting any clients or speaking engagements so that I can devote my time to the portfolio.  There were several CGs present in the audience who gave us encouragement and advice.  I am looking forward to the process but I am also pretty nervous about it.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your posts from IGHR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am sitting here on a break. We are in the middle of the numbering systems lectures. As far as numbering goes, you don't want immigrants in your lineage. It can get very complicated and Tom is threatening a complex immigrant family to number. We all hope he is kidding :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoying your posts -- am green with envy -- wish I could be there. Dr. Colletta has presented several seminars for the Mississippi Genealogy Society. His book "Only a Few Bones" is set in Vicksburg and the Mississippi Delta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have him again tonight for the special presentation :)

      Delete