Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday – arrival and check-in

I made it.  I wanted to take a picture of the Welcome to Alabama sign but as I was screaming by it at 70 mph I decided that it wasn’t such a good idea.  A funny thing happened at the Georgia-Alabama line.  Right before I came in to Alabama all the cars with Alabama tags started slowing way down while the ones with Georgia tags hit the line at full throttle.  What the Alabama folks knew that we Georgia folks didn’t was that the speed limit drops from 70 to 55 and there were Alabama State Troopers waiting on the other side.  All you could see were brake lights from the Georgia cars and the drivers of the Alabama cars had big smiles on their faces.

I went through the check-in and registration process and I am settled into my dorm room.  My roommate is from Florida and the two girls next door are from Texas and Salt Lake City.  Three of us are newbies to IGHR so we have the deer-in-the-headlights look.  We are pretty happy that one us has been here before and can make sure the rest of us get to the right places at the right time.

Tonight we had a buffet of “heavy hors d'oeuvres” at a dinner reception and short orientation.  After the orientation there was a ProGen get together.  Angela Packer McGhie is here (the head of ProGen) and it was very nice meet her in person.  Representatives from ProGen 1 all the way through the newest class, ProGen 23 were there.  I am in ProGen 18 and we are finishing our program on July 1st.  There are a lot of genealogy heavy hitters here and there are a couple I plan to corner just so I can introduce myself.

One special person I got to meet today was Clarise Fleck Soper, CG.  I have “known” Clarise for about 15 years but this is the first time I had met her in person.  She is from Mississippi and we both do Mississippi research.  She used to be the editor of Southern Footprints and I wrote a couple of articles they published.  We were both members of the Southern Mississippi Genealogical Society though I was a long distance member.  We are in different classes this week but we will still have time to get together again and I am looking forward to it.

We were given our class notebooks and my roommate and I are sitting here reading through it.  Wow.  There is A LOT of material in here.  My brain is already starting to hurt.

Tomorrow starts early with breakfast at 7 and class starting at 8. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget your homework. Hope you get a lot of new information to pass on.

    ReplyDelete