Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday – 1st day of class

A few general comments first.  I will be here again next year.  That one statement should tell you just how much I am enjoying IGHR.  The campus is beautiful and the staff here is phenomenal.  Being able to stay in the dorms and eat in the campus cafeteria is more than just convenient.  I am enjoying the company of my roommates and I can’t even begin to tell you how great the food is.  

I met Michael Hait, CG today.  He was one of the people I had on my list to hunt down.  It was nice to finally meet him in person and I enjoyed our little talk.  There are still a couple more people on campus I want to introduce myself to sometime this week.  I even warned a couple of them via email so they might try to hide from me.  My four instructors are of course on my list and I have already met the first two (Tom and Elissa). 

Now a little about the class I am taking.

The instructors for the course are:
Thomas W. Jones
John Phillip Colletta
Elissa Scalise Powell
Craig R. Scott
[all of them have lots of letters behind there names]

Here is a brief overview of what we did today:

8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.:  Class Orientation and Preliminary Remarks (Jones)
8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.:  Introduction to the Dreaded Footnote
(Jones)
9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.:  Morning Break
10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.:  Essential Resources for Genealogical Writers
(Jones)
11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.:  Lunch
12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.:  Writing as You Go (Powell)
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.:  Afternoon Break
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.:  Creating Readable Prose
(Jones)
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.:  Assignment of Student Project 1 (Footnoting Exercise) (Jones)

I have actually heard both Tom and Elissa speak before via conference CDs but hearing them in person, having the handouts, seeing the PowerPoint slides and being able to ask questions makes all the difference in the world.  I got much more out of today’s session than all of the CDs put together and I still have four more days.

After dinner we were treated to a special evening session from 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.: Using Spreadsheets to Bring Evidence to Life presented by David Ouimette, CG.  David was so enthusiastic during his presentation it made all of us want to run back to our rooms and fire up Excel.  The only thing holding me back was my homework for Tom’s class.  David gave as many different scenarios where you can use spreadsheets to solve genealogical dilemmas.  It was an excellent lecture and I plan to incorporate what I learned into my research.

Today it was pretty much nonstop from 6:00 a.m. until now (It is 9:30 p.m.).  I am almost done with my homework assignment and then in the bed I go.  I am looking forward to tomorrow.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Have fun. Looking forward to all your write ups.

    ReplyDelete