Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Things that drive me crazy

Charlotta (Seegar) Patton Miller was born 24 August 1825 in Georgia and died 25 July 1902 in Mississippi, or was she?  I don’t know.

There are over 90 people on Ancestry.com that have Charlotta’s EXACT birth and death dates.  Some even have that she is buried in the “Old Palmer’s Crossing Cemetery.”   Unless I am overlooking something, I can’t find one person that knows WHERE this information came from.  I am assuming from a tombstone but where is it?  I can’t find any cemetery with this name or close to this name in Forrest County, Mississippi or the surrounding counties. 

From a cousin,

“Mary's mother Charlotta was living with her and her husband John McMichael after the death of Charlotta's husband Robert Miller.  They were traveling to Purvis when Charlotta and Mary contracted Typhoid Fever.  They stopped at Palmer's Crossing and died there.”  

The cousin doesn’t know where this came from.  Palmer’s Crossing is a community just south of Hattiesburg in present day Forrest County.  I have cemetery survey books for Perry County and Forrest County, I have checked Find A Grave, I have looked on USGenWeb, and I have checked the U.S. Geological Survey website.  NOTHING.  The closest I can find is the Palmer Cemetery in Hintonville which is in neighboring Perry County.  The earliest burial there (marked) is 1962. 

Nothing would make me happier than to know where exactly Charlotte is buried and I would love to have those exact birth and death dates.  This is just so frustrating. 

Here is someone that actually has sources for everything….  EXCEPT THE DEATH INFORMATION!  The birth information doesn’t count either because they cited the 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 census, none of which contains an exact birth date or an exact birth location.

Charlotta

ARRRRRRRRRRRRG!   If someone sees something that I am not seeing please let me know.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

10 comments:

  1. One of the "joys" of looking at other's trees is trying to figure out where the information came from. Very frustrating at times, even if you try to be charible about it. The following suggestions may not help, but have you considered that the original source may be a family bible or a letter? (I have no idea how you might trace those originals). The cemetery name could be an informal description rather than a name - what burial grounds are in the near vicinity of Palmer's Crossing? Would there be sexton's records? Were there rules about the disposition of victims of an epidemic disease that might provide another approach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1900 and 1910 Census records? 1910 for the rest of the family telling you where they were in 1905?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not at home (fishing) but I will look after get home and after I do some work for Legacy. I don't remember off the top of my head. One day I will put the Families App on my phone so I will always have this stuff with me. I have it on my Kindle but it's at the house.

      Delete
  3. As you didn't mention searching Billiongraves, I tried searching www.billiongraves.com and found Charlotta Miller b 4 July 1825 Death 9 November 1910 in Eden Prairie Cemetery, Eden Prairie, Minnesota. I know it is a long shot but maybe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not look there, this is true. I am not a big fan of BillionGraves so I simply forgot about it. The dates are off and I can't imagine anyone in this particular family going to Minnesota but stranger things have happened. I am on my way to go fishing with my son for a couple of hours and then I need to do some work for Legacy. After that, this is at the top of the list :)

      Delete
  4. Might there be a Civil War pension file for Robert Miller and/or his wdow that could have the dates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert would have been 60 or 61 years old at the start of the war. That doesn't automatically preclude him (he could have lied about his age if he was really fit) but is does make it less likely. Robert was about 26 years older than Charlotta when they married. I did a quick search on the NPS Soldiers and Sailors database and there were 108 Robert Millers that served in an Alabama unit. That doesn't even include any Roberts that went by his initials. That was even more than I was expecting! I don't even want to go there :) :) :)

      Delete
  5. Her death record might give her exact age at death, allowing the researcher to calculate a birthdate. And it might tell where she is buried. Have you seen the full death record?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For that matter... an obituary might also provide both pieces of information. (I think slowly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotta died before Mississippi started doing death certificates. I haven't been able to locate an obit for her but that doesn't surprise for this location and time period.

      Delete